Downtown Tampa

An awkward place for TRAVEL
Travel Blog


File_000.jpeg
Tampa Riverwalk

Leaving

- - - - X
I said my goodbyes to my mom. And amidst this somber see ya later, for no reason really, I'd see her soon enough, she told me a few proverbs of her own invention. 1. Don't get on your dad's nerves, 2. Don't take yourself too seriously, and some other things I've seemed to have forgotten.
I couldn't believe she told ME not to get on HIS nerves. Anyways. I suppose I'd have to take it seriously since it was said. Things to think about really. And as I thought about it, we came upon the gas station where we'd have our first quarrel. It probably doesn't deserve the title of a full on quarrel but as I reached for my keys in defiance of him, might I add for a good reason, I could feel the tension and my mother's words dawn upon me, “don't get on your dad's nerves”. I understood and loosened my tension reluctantly on the keys that my dad was guiding towards the ignition while the gas was still being pumped. Thank the lord we heard the gracious click sound of the pump indicating the car was finished guzzling it's ration of gasoline. I no longer had to fear a spark blowing us to flames or the chance to upset my father. Oh! And I remembered my mom's other proverb. “Don't tell your dad something that will freak him out”.
Don't get on your dad's nerves
-My mother


File_002.jpegDay 1

- -bizou brasserie - - X

A restaurant at the forefront of the hotel that I desired the most. Quiet and alone is a mid sized cafe like establishment that mimics the vintage reminiscence of the building that was once upon a time a courthouse for the city. As we ponder what the room once was, our food finally arrives.
Now, I like to judge a restaurant on a few simple criteria. Such as, what's provided on the table. If there's salt and pepper, that's a problem for me . It basically indicates to me that they don't know how to properly season the food and therefore I'd most likely have to take that into my own hands. An inconvenience really. There's also the bathrooms and if I'm having breakfast,the eggs. Eggs can be made in so many different ways and can be easily ruined. Some places use egg beaters which are usually obvious to identify. I can tell easily if I'll be disappointed or not without even tasting my breakfast. At this point I figure I should just start lowering expectations. In the past I thought an indication of good food would be the price but I realize at this time I was most likely paying for the name of the hotel itself.

The eggs I was given were quite lacking and I had to add salt. They had no taste, at all, and on top of that, they burned my toast, blackened it really. It was pretty filling however and I was surprised everything stayed hot until the end of breakfast and the potatoes nor the bacon was greasy. However, I figure tomorrow we will look for a ghetto breakfast, full of fat and flavor.
Tea by way of the MOST adorable teapot around



- -Florida Aquarium - - X
After leaving the mall,a far too familiar place, we found ourselves at the Florida aquarium near by. My dad seemed delighted enough to go there although I silently protested since I had been to one in Georgia my last trip. I figured they were all the same. Simultaneously, I figured the one here might be better since we were actually near a body of water. This prestigious Tampa river that trailed right behind our hotel and led out to the gulf, a concept I had trouble grasping for some inexplicable reason. The aquarium was somehow a let down. It was interesting for a small amount of time and I think my dad felt the same as I did about it. There were only a couple exhibits and the dippin dots girl gave me the stank eye! I resent that. We were able to get a more than decent picture out of it though. I just hope I can get in some of the things I'd like to do for the rest of the day.


Day 2



- -Oxford Exchange - - X

Sitting sideways a busy Kennedy street taking in the college scene sits across from me and my father as he decides between something familiar and something new for breakfast.


We trekked on foot from hotel to riverwalk, riverwalk to sundial in the “Skyes” to the bridge over the waters to the most “uppity” place I could find in the city. Even my father was impressed. Across from the university is an old world, seemingly high class establishment in white bricks and brass candlelights actually burning within.
File_000.jpeg
Upstairs Oxford Exchange lounging around
Here I hope we'll fulfill what’s on my dad’s agenda, souvenir shopping, while still maintaining a posh way about myself. Oxford Exchange doubles as a shop and restaurant serving everything but dinner. It’s a building of many functions. Besides the almost cafeteria like openness and calm bustle of one too, the main restaurant that served breakfast and lunch during the week and brunch only on the weekends, was a full coffee shop seperate of a tea shop worthy of eastern admiration. Off from the open terrarium like space sporting a fountain did the coffee shop and tea shop share a common area you might find in one of the eldest of european colleges. Tufted leather seats, old books for decoration and curiosity, a space after my own heart. But alas I was really only able to enjoy that window with my father. Which is not a complaint. I just know it will take more than one visit to satisfy me.
File_000.jpeg
We had twin mocha latte’s decorated with a foamy leaf which needed some doctoring and a personal touch, which made me think the rest to come couldn’t be much better than that. And then I ordered the pancakes and bit my slandering tongue. It was a monument of perfection. And the work of art I had been looking for in the town. Few things, no, nothing was more enjoyed during my time here than those pancakes. They used maple syrup, something hard to come by in it’s honest form at any old restaurant. Their own concoction I’m sure was a secret. Maple and the slightest sweetness of peach. Sweet but not the overpowering fermented jelly like sweetness that can often ruin your breakfast by it’s overdone richness. No, this was delightful and had an elegance of palette. 5 cakes in all and at this moment, so far away from breakfast, I have remorse over not being able to finish the whole thing. I was full but it was the content fullness appreciated without gluttony.


As you know I was not completely done with my assessment of this eatery. I had to check out the restrooms before leaving. So while we wait for our check to be picked up I escaped to the john for no particular reason but that. I’ve seen quirkier, however this restroom was quite delightful. Wide and open continued what I’ll call, “the oxford affect”. A large table sat in the middle. It’s function I can only imagine it to be for setting purses on while doing whatever business might be done. I’ll admit that was a bit odd but the sinks were beautiful and worth noting. This place seems to pass the test.
File_000.jpeg
I returned to my seat to realize that the check was given to us in an old Agatha Christie book. This somehow made my day although the only reason I know of her and her mystery collection is because of a Doctor Who episode I saw once including one of her story’s during a time she was quite famous. Nonetheless, this sort of quirk is quite welcomed with me. I found that many people had signed their names, put comments in it about the restaurant, or the dates they had visited with their loved ones. So I went ahead and did the same in the first few pages. Nostalgia is such a human thing.


Humans, You’re so nostalgic.
-The Doctor (11)
Agatha Christie Check Holder
Breakfast was done and it was time to do a little more exploring in the gift shop. I thought it might be the best place to find something for my mother and possibly my brother too. All he asked for was a t-shirt to lounge around the house in but I felt that was too dull. Plus I’m sure my dad would fulfill his request with his endless desire to find a walmart in the area. Shirt’s are a dime a dozen. I’ve made it a philosophy to find things unique of the place you visit. If I think I can get something back home, I simply won’t get it. Amongst all the trinkets, some useful and some of lesser use, I found these rare pencils that have been acclaimed by some of the most famous sketch artists, comic book artists, and writers across the planet. It’s the blackwing pencil that can’t be bought in just any store or arts and craft establishments. A box of 12 authentic drawing utensils for my brother the artist. Hopefully he’ll use them and at least I hope he’ll appreciate them or even know how rare they are. If he doesn’t care for them I’ll have a fit I swear it. My mom cares not for kitchen trinkets or useless items or anything super floral so I thought for future use I’d get her a plaque for the “best mom ever”. Only now do I second guess If instead I should have bought the “know it all” plaque instead. At least that might drive a laugh out of her and even her students.
File_000.jpeg
File_003.jpeg
File_002.jpeg
Unique souvenirs from Oxford Exchange




- -St Petersburg Beach - - X

It’s certain I’m far too relaxed when planning a vacation. On this day I expected to stop by Adventure Island to spend the majority of the day. We were headed there too. My dad reluctant of course. He has a major trepidation to anything exciting really. I realize it’s excitement that he doesn’t care for now. Not the heights or much else. A quick google search of the place told me two vital pieces of information. (1) That the park was about 20 minutes away and (2) it was closed. That ruined my plans and any expectations of true enjoyment. Instead we headed to the nearest beach. Now, while Downtown Tampa sits on the river, there isn’t a beach for about another hour east. That’s because Tampa sits at the bay. There’s tons of water but no beach. So we saddled onto the highway to St. Petersburg beach. A place that, as my dad tells it, is one of the top places to live in the U.S. as we further approached this sleepy town, I had wondered, who was actually voting for the best places to live. Or who set the standard? Because there certainly wasn’t anything interesting going on. Houses sat facing water on every side. The sand was soft and lacked the graininess I know so well back in Hollywood. It was nice and the waters were clear and shore was laden with sea shells. A commodity we somehow never received back home anymore. At one time on Hollywood beach we could walk up and down the shore line choosing from a hundred million shells. There are none to be found now on the west coast of Florida, yet they sparkle on the east shoreline. After I waddled a bit in the water without my dad’s company we chose some shells to bring back home and we headed to find a spot for lunch. I figured this is what people thought of Florida, the ones that know nothing of Florida. Quiet, beachside, and elderly. We were headed back to the mainland soon enough.


IMG_2666.JPG- -Centro Ybor - - X

We took a break at the beach and before too long we went out to discover the outskirts of downtown. I heard if I were going to find anything eclectic it would be in Centro Ybor. That...was a mistake. I entered one place full of young whippersnappers, or so they must’ve seemed like to my dad. They played loud rap music and had art inside. Seemed interesting enough for me although a tad bit uncomfortable I have to admit. I was willing to stay around for a bit to look at what was there but 30 seconds had not passed by until my dad was trying to get me to leave. Most shops were closed and the rest were made up of yucky bars. I’d go on in if I were with a different crew but my dad refused to step foot into any one of them for a drink. Perhaps after leaving Oxford Exchange what he saw here wasn’t good enough for him. And besides that, we had successfully broken out into a full sweat. The night was over.

File_002.jpegDay 3

- -Last Day- - X

Today was the last day in Tampa. We had a 4 hour drive ahead of us that morning but I swore to myself I was going to get to do something enjoyable. I had thought about returning to Oxford Exchange. Maybe grab that mimosa I was missing from the last time we were there. I figured I’d let the place keep the idea of perfection I believed it to be. I rather it not have an opportunity to have it’s sanctity tarnished. So in the early hours we headed to breakfast with a recommendation from the concierge desk at the hotel we stayed in, Sheraton Riverwalk. She directed us up the street to a place called Firstwatch, which on my ride home I realize is only a chain restaurant. On the way, I’m glad to say, we got side tracked and dad recommended we head into the Hilton just a step away. We took a window seat just for the two of us and not space for much more. I wasn’t too impressed with the restaurant. Not opulent enough I suppose but at least I got to order french toast.
File_003.jpegFile_004.jpeg
It came in pretty enough but it was just ok. Bananas weren’t cooked at all just plopped on. But I could appreciate the pecans they candied. They were quite good.

File_009.jpegAfter a, good-enough, breakfast I limped my way back to the hotel, I sprained my foot somehow. I watched the travel channel while packing and getting ready for the Plant Museum I planned for us to go to before leaving home. It took a full day past to find out the Plant Museum had nothing to do with plants. Rather, it was a museum about a man named Plant that was said to be responsible for bringing the Tampa area out of the dark ages. The video shown there mentioned he was the one to bring the railroad to Tampa which helped fish commerce in the area. While mostly a bore, it was nice to see what that age of house and home might have looked like. At the same time however, I felt I had stepped upon a place that might have had slaves. Always feels eery to be in a well known appreciated place that has the darkness of possible slavery peering through. The museum, they affectionately called the “First Magic Kingdom” was once the Tampa Hotel and now apart of the Tampa University. While I didn’t try to explore the school, we sat on porch for a bit enjoying the breeze. We sat on steel lawn chairs that reminded both my dad of our   grandparents houses. My father’s parents and his parents’ parents. They seemed to have these chairs in common.

File_000.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts