November Traveling

Jacksonville River 
Traveling, ought to be about learning. Discovering. What has always been around you but finally venturing outward. You’d think every time would be exciting. But sometimes you realize there’s a lot of the same out there. It might be a problem of expectations however. Those can be relaxed. Now, what has always been is not only the city of discovery but one’s self that always was. There are things one can only learn when they’re away from home. And that’s why everyone must do it.
A most recent of jaunts was my short trip to Jacksonville/St Augustine. A far more recent travel was to Orlando. Vastly different in feeling and state of mind. Considering my own existence in both situations I considered life, companionship, loneliness, and independence. Loneliness can occur whenever. I’ve found in often cases, it is when you’re surrounded by many. Either people you’ve never met, are acquainted with, or are close members of your family. It also occurs when you are alone. But less when you are preoccupied. It can be the precursor to depression but can usually be banished with a bit of positive thinking. Or rather, a banishing of the lonely feelings. Sitting a moment on my hotel bed in Jacksonville. A warm modern and comfortable studio I felt something missing. A tinge of loneliness perhaps. Or maybe not. Because with loneliness, the feeling, there is sadness in the heart. But something wasn’t there. So I concluded that traveling alone wasn’t the best.  I realize now that from my extensive knowledge of Doctor Who, I should have deduced that before I hit the road. Before leaving I was met with apathy and resentment. Not for fear of my loneliness but the usual fears of my parents. You know, things like, kidnap, rape, molestation. Things like that. All of which never happened by the way. Turns out people just think you’re one of them. After all, it’s not like I left the country or something. Didn’t even leave the state. That’s beside the point however. Notice. That feeling, had not occurred to mind when I was driving or making stops. It was when I stopped. To contemplate myself and my situation. Where I was. In reality, I wanted to travel with one specific person. I had flash thoughts of sitting beside that person. We wouldn’t even have to talk and I’d know that that’s how it all ought to be. Windows down and looking ahead. But instead I was sitting on the bed, listening to reruns of Seinfeld to fill the voice filled with his absence.
Black Sheep in Five Points
          Jacksonville
Everyplace feels like everyplace. Uniqueness had not been found. I was even on a similar road. Hundreds of miles away and the beach was still 15 minutes away. Everywhere I went. I wasn’t running away so shouldn’t feel disappointed. I had a goal. Get to Jacksonville so I could get to St. Augustine for the Tiny House Convention. The stores were even the same. I didn’t give a thought to the people though. I tend to think every part of Florida is the same demographic wise. But I suppose there was a difference.  

Tiny House Conference
St. Augustine
Wake up. Like I live here. I live here. Everywhere is my home. Nothing is strange to me therefore I act normally in every scene. I make stops because I’m impatient. Right off the highway a few times until I reached my destination. Just beating the Sun’s goodnight. Experiencing my independence which felt meaningless. Unafraid yet meaningless. It was. No upside to really see for the time. Waking up to meet the city and met by unforeseeable city traffic. I ended up at the rooftop of Black Sheep Restaurant eating breakfast in Five Points. Accidentally hipster is the best. Especially when you’ve been told the whole place was the ghetto and urged not to go. People often don’t know what they’re talking about. I probably don’t either. So I ran around town. To boutique after boutique, through the thrift stores, and stale mated at the closed record store. Then through the marketplace to the orchestra by the river and remembered. At the staggered cement everyone seated before the scene. The cool air and the congregation. I remembered the congregator and the reason I was. To congregate in peace. To enjoy others and what was always around us. Before the buildings and beyond the streets. What began under the bridges, the river and there I continued to contemplate what King Solomon had once lettered. Life. And what makes up an enjoyable one. Enjoying one another and what is good. 
Aloft Hotel Jacksonville









Comments

Popular Posts