Substitutions- Banana Bread

I will keep this short. I tried a banana bread recipe and it came out great although I lacked a key ingredient. EGGS! There were no eggs in the house what so ever because my dad, like a natural Ron Swanson, ate all the eggs in the house that afternoon. Anyways, I decided to head over to pinterest to find the holy grail of substitutions list. I found out that instead of eggs I could use a few vegan choices. Not that I care to be vegan but options are always great. So instead of an egg, I used a 1/4 cup of, get this, APPLESAUCE + 1tsp baking powder. Who would've thought? I unfortunately didn't look into the science of it but the results were dilicious. It was moist with great texture and held together quite well. Here are the results.


Ingredients

  • 2-3 very ripe bananas, peeled
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you would like it less sweet, 1 cup if more sweet)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Method Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and butter a 4x8-inch loaf panIn a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
Mix in the baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour.
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour at 350°F (175°C), or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack. Remove the banana bread from the pan. Slice and serve. (A bread knife helps to make slices that aren't crumbly.)


curtsey of : 
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_bread/ 




Comments

Popular Posts