EXPERIMENTING in the kitchen : CHOUX PASTRY

It's a random Tuesday night and I received my standing mixer in the mail. I was so excited and inspired to bake something so I found a recipe for choux pastry that I thought I'd attempt, and hopefully master. So far, it doesn't seem like it's doing too well. I will, in fact, post the ingredients, measurements, and the whole shebang below. Included in all that will also be the issues I ran into and how I attempted to fix them.

I'm dealing with a sad dough right now. it's very depressed. I've done it so wrong I'm sure. the first attempt was not a thick enough batter while this one is now lumpy. My first issue seemed to be that I could not measure my ingredients by weight, which is more accurate. Frankly, I should have just looked for another recipe with measurements I could understand, how foolish of me. I did however, watched a video from a professional. I could have used his recipe really. Anyways, what's done is done. I found the conversions for the below ingredients.


  • 150g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon each sugar and salt
  • 100g unsalted butter
  • 4 eggs
I boiled my water and butter appropriately and added the flour to the boiled mixture. At this point, I already thought it wasn't thick enough but I was seeing a film on the bottom of my pan which I heard indicates it's time to remove it from the pan, so I figured I should remove it from the heat.  I put it into my bowl aside from the stove and began adding one egg at a time. Mind you, these were large eggs, which may have not helped the moisture content here. It all eventually came together, but it didn't create a stiff peak. It looked and smelled pretty. I should have stopped there and baked that mixture. At the very least I could have divided it and tried to fix half the mixture. looking online I read someone fixed there's by keeping the mixture over low heat and stirring until, I suppose, the excess moisture is gone. unfortunately I do nothing slowly and some of the mixture began cooking and lumping up. I have no confidence in the mixture I have now but I'm just waiting for it to cool completely to save for tomorrow to throw in the oven in the a.m. However, I'm getting a bit anxious so I just might do it tonight lol.


Update!


This morning I went ahead to bake the choux the way it was, after being chilled of course. I preheat the oven to 375F and left it in for about 20 minutes. It came out looking for the most part, like the real deal. how exciting! They're on the brown side but they do form the pocket in the middle. I'm letting the steam out now while they cool by cutting  a small X at the bottom of their bums. I put in another batch and leaving it in for less time and seeing how it turns out.




Comments

Popular Posts